St Martin's parish church



The parish church of St Martin stands slightly elevated on a natural terrace on Schwyz village square. From the top, you have a wonderful view of the entire square with the town hall.
The parish church of St. Martin is a late baroque hall church and is the seventh church building in the centre of Schwyz. The first church was built around 800. Six more followed. According to the Einsiedeln monastery architect Kaspar Braun, the sixth was dilapidated and too small. The new church was therefore built between 1769 and 1774. It was built by the brothers Jakob and Johann Singer, who originally came from Tyrol.

Church from the outside

In contrast to the interior, the exterior of the building is cubically austere, compact and clearly structured by pilasters with capitals. The colours grey, light grey and white dominate the exterior. The transept is characterised by the gable elevation with oval windows. Large, arched windows and three-part semi-circular openings characterise the exterior.


The base of the tower was built in 1481. The clock faces are mounted in gable tops and the belfry has large sound openings. The gargoyles in the shape of dragon heads date from earlier times. The spire ends in a needle-pointed pyramid with an octagonal lantern dome. A hexagonal ridge turret sits on the roof above the apse. It is crowned by a small Madonna.


A plaque on the southern wall of the church commemorates the Landamman Alois von Reding and the old cemetery. Alois von Reding (1765-1818) was the victor of Rothenthurm, an opponent of Helvetic centralism and Switzerland's first Landammann. A memorial stone in place of the entrance to the former Betschart crypt also commemorates the old cemetery. The steps to the village square were remodelled in 1859 and 1889.


Contact person

Pfarramt Schwyz
Herrengasse 22
6430 Schwyz


Getting there
St Martin's parish church
6430 Schwyz